Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

Fourteen years ago today I married the love of my life!  We were fresh out of college; he proposed by quoting the thirteen verses about love from 1 Corinthians 13 and handing me a rose for each verse. We got married in Houston a few months later. 


Fourteen years later I can still say that I love Brad Leffler.  I honestly love him more today than I did 14 years ago.  Of course we've had our ups and downs.  There were some discouraging days in the beginning as we as two selfish beings adjusted to our shared life together. 

Before we got married we talked at length about what we would like our lives to look like and we placed great emphasis on centering our marriage on Jesus Christ. We knew that marriage is a commitment and that long term love isn't just a feeling; it's a choice.  There are times I haven't FELT like loving Brad but I made a promise to love him forever, therefore my love is a mental choice that I make. 

Our marriage vows are a stark reminder of our commitment to each other. I keep them on our refrigerator to remind me of what I promised many years ago:

I, Kerith, take you, Brad, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward 'til death do us part.  Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.

I LOVE that we added those verses from the book of Ruth. I certainly don't want the Lord Jesus Christ dealing with me severely!

We understood that keeping Jesus Christ at the center of our marriage meant walking closely with him as individuals, praying together and reading his Word together.  That's hard sometimes, isn't it?  I won't lie and say we've prayed and read the Bible together everyday for the last 14 years.  In fact, there have been months where we haven't done it at all.  But I can look back and see that the times when we've prayed together more than not are the times we've been closest to each other.

We give all the glory to God for holding us together in the palm of his hand. He's taught us to rely on him during the good times and during the difficult times.

How is your marriage today?

Jeremiah 32:27 says, "I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?" He can heal your marriage. Your marriage is not beyond healing. Nothing is too difficult for God.


Take a few minutes right now to ask God to mend the relationship between you and your spouse.  And keep on asking.  Don't stop!  Remain faithful in asking even when results don't come quickly. Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." All we have to do is ask. A few verses later it says, "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" (vs 19). And if that isn't enough evidence that you should ask the Lord Jesus for help, Hebrews 4:16 says, "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

In the meantime, wait patiently for God to work. We can't always see what he's doing "behind the scenes" so to speak. He is working on each person who has a personal relationship with him (Philippians 1:16). And he woos those who aren't seeking him. He will work in your life and the life of your spouse to draw you both very close to him and as a result, close to each other.

While you are waiting on the Lord Jesus, meditate on God's words to you, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corithians 12:9).