Friday, August 5, 2011

Looking to buy a new Bible?

If you looking to purchase a new Bible, my brother, Nathan Lino, a Pastor in NE Houston, offers godly advice as to which version to buy. He wrote this on his blog last month.

1984 vs 2011 NIV Bible

I'm not sure if you are aware of the transliterating changes to the 2011 NIV.
In Dec, 2010, I wrote a blog article here sounding the alarm about the direction in which the NIV was going with the unfortunate publication of the gender neutral, and thus unbiblical, TNIV. (We do not allow the TNIV to be used in teaching at NEHBC.) In that blogpost I urged folks to switch away from the NIV and encouraged the ESV--it's both readable and very accurate. I wrote the blogpost to protect my sheep from the coming danger of the NIV.

Now it is July 2011 and......boom; It happened, but sooner than I expected. The NIV has rolled out an "updated" transliteration in which they have merged the TNIV and 1984 NIV in 75% of the text. Without properly informing people, they have just rolled it out and NIV users think they are getting the NIV, but they are not. This is exactly what I warned would happen in my post 18 months ago.

I strongly urge you not to use the 2011 NIV. And not just me. The Southern Baptist Convention voted en mass last month against the use of the 2011 NIV.

With the acceptable 1984 version and the unacceptable 2011 version now out, things are going to get confusing for new and young believers trying to figure out what bible to purchase. They might see your 1984 version and not understand the dangers of the 2011 version or even be aware of the difference and purchase it. To avoid confusion, if you haven't already, now is the time to switch from the NIV. I recommend the ESV, NASB, NKJV, RSV, KJV.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, for a thorough and trustworthy analysis of the 2011 NIV, I recommend you read this article by Bart Barber, pastor of First Baptist Church, Farmersville, TX: http://conta.cc/okeaPL.